What is a Paragard® IUD?
Paragard is an intrauterine device (IUD) used for birth control. It is a method of birth control that is hormone free, reversible and highly effective. Paragard is effective for up to 10 years but can be removed earlier. Made of flexible plastic and copper, it is inserted in the uterus during a short office visit.
- Paragard® is over 99% effective and is 100% hormone free.
- When you decide to have the Paragard® IUD removed, the contraceptive effect withdraws quickly and you will return to fertility immediately.
- The Paragard® IUD is FDA approved and won’t interfere with your natural menstrual cycle. The most common side effects are heavier, longer, and more painful periods and spotting between periods.
How does the ParaGard® IUD work?
The “T” shaped ParaGard® IUD is placed in the uterus and works primarily by preventing the sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. The copper in the IUD produces a reaction in the uterus that is toxic to sperm. It also prevents the egg from attaching to the uterine lining.
Is a ParaGard® IUD Right for You?
- The ParaGard IUD is an effective birth control option for most women. During an office visit, we will discuss your needs and help you decide if a Paragard IUD is the best option for you. For example:
- If you just had a baby and are nursing a ParaGard IUD offers a safe and effective birth control option
- If you may want to have more children in the future but do not know when and need a reversible form of birth control
- If you are happy with your current family size but are not ready for permanent sterilization
- If you want birth control without a daily routine or hassle that is hormone free and doesn’t interfere with your menstrual cycle
Paragard® Safety Considerations
- Do not use ParaGard® if you have a pelvic infection
- Less than 1% of users get a serious infection called pelvic inflammatory disease
- The ParaGard IUD does NOT protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
- For complete safety information, visit http://www.paragard.com