What is a Paragard® IUD?
Paragard is an intrauterine device (IUD) used for birth control. It is a method of birth control that is hormone free, reversible and highly effective. Paragard is effective for up to 10 years but can be removed earlier. Made of flexible plastic and copper, it is inserted in the uterus by the doctors at Women’s Health Wise during a short office visit.
- Paragard® is over 99% effective and is 100% Hormone Free.
- When you decide to have the Paragard® IUD removed, the contraceptive effect withdraws quickly and you will return to fertility immediately.
- The Paragard® IUD is FDA Approved and won’t interfere with your natural menstrual cycle. The most common side effects of Paragard® are heavier and longer periods and spotting between periods; for most women, these subside after 2 to 3 months.
How does the ParaGard® IUD work?
The “T” shaped ParaGard® IUD is placed in the uterus and works primarily by preventing the sperm from reaching and fertilizing the egg. The copper in the IUD produces a reaction in the uterus that is toxic to sperm. It also prevents the egg from attaching to the uterine lining.
Is a ParaGard® IUD Right for You?
- The ParaGard IUD is an effective birth control option for most women. During your office visit, we will discuss your particular needs and help you decide whether a Paragard IUD is the best option for you. For example:
- If you just had a baby and are nursing a ParaGard IUD offers a safe and effective birth control option.
- If you may want to have more children in the future but do not know when and need a reversible form of birth control.
- If you are happy with your current family size but are not ready for permanent sterilization.
- If you want birth control without a daily routine or hassle that is hormone free and doesn’t interfere with your menstrual cycle.
- Do not use ParaGard® if you have a pelvic infection, get infections easily or have certain cancers.
- Less than 1% of users get a serious infection called pelvic inflammatory disease.
- The ParaGard IUD does NOT protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
- Share your health history with your healthcare provider before placement.
- For complete safety information, visit www.paragard.com
At Women’s Health Wise In Longmont, CO; we have been placing Paragard IUD’s for over ten years with a very high level of patient satisfaction.